Saturday, May 25, 2013

somebody told me...

Today's Blog Every Day in May Challenge is to write about something someone told you, good or bad.    I decided to write both a good and bad thing someone has told me.

Let's start with the bad first, and end on a positive note :)

The Bad

Multiple people in high school told me, "You're too skinny...you would be so much cuter if you put on some pounds"

In high school, I was even thinner than I am now.  I didn't even break 100 pounds until my sophomore year in college.  Yes I have a thin frame, and yes I ran cross country.  Anyone who runs that much, will probably lose weight if they don't eat absurd amounts of food like I did.  (I even saw this first hand...one of the boys joined cross country to be healthier, but he ended up losing more than what he wanted to lose!) Bottom line, criticizing someone's weight to their face does no good for that person or yourself.  I have learned to be happy with who I am, and ignoring the "haters" is something I have always struggled with but am getting better with over time.

The Good

Someone told me, "I can tell you are a genuine person. You care so much about making people happy, and I am so happy you work hard to relate to us and make each of us feel special"

One of my campers told me that last summer! I wasn't sure if I was helping the girls in any way, until one of them said this to me.  I was beaming the rest of camp!  This is one of the events in my life that has made me want to become a school counselor.  I love working with kids, and making them feel loved and important is what I feel like I am supposed to be doing in this world.






No comments:

Post a Comment